Monday, July 29, 2013

Schoolboy suffers horrific double break below the knee - Injury update

South African schoolboy Martin Groenewald snapped his leg in two places during a match that was televised live across the nation at the weekend. It was horrific to see, but the good news is that the 18-year-old has since had surgery and is recovering well.

Grey College (Bloemfontein) vs Grey High (Port Elizabeth) is one of the oldest fixtures on the South Africa schools calendar, dating way back to 1929 when the two sides first met.

There were thousands on hand to watch the occasion at the weekend, but unfortunately post match it wasn't the 50-28 Grey Bloem victory everyone was talking about, as Groenewald suffered arguably one of the worst leg injuries seen in rugby.

Tackled by his opposite number, the lock landed heavily as his right leg buckled beneath him and the pressure of the two players caused a severe break in two places below the knee.

Groenewald, who has reportedly signed a contract with the Blue Bulls, broke his tibia and fibula.

It was clear for all to see, and apparently hear, as the referee stopped the match instantly and players from both sides turned away in shock after realising what had happened.

Medics rushed the field and he was treated on the spot before being moved into an ambulance and rushed off to Bloemfontein Mediclinic for further treatment.

The resultant surgery was a success and he was due to be released today, but will take up to four months to recover, and then will need to start a rehabilitation program.

"I spoke to Martin's father this morning and it seems the operation was a success," said Grey High coach, and former Cheetahs lock, Rory Duncan. He added that assistant coach Tim Fraser had seen Martin after the operation.

"Tim says he was in a certain amount of pain but it was slightly alleviated by the fact that he had 20 Collegiate girls next to his hospital bed."

If you'd like to send a message of support to Martin, you can leave a comment below or tweet him

PLEASE NOTE: The leg break, and the few minutes that followed, can be seen below for those that are interested. The first fifteen seconds are not recommended for sensitive viewers.

Posted in See it to Believe it

Reality July 29, 2013 7:05 pm

Jeepers - poor lad. That's really horrific looking. Well done to the referee for immediately stopping play and to the other players for getting off him as soon as they could. I hope his recovery goes well, and it's good to read that he's upbeat about it. Get well soon.

Alex Butcher July 29, 2013 7:10 pm

Get well soon Martin, no player should go through that. Here's to a speedy recovery and you getting back on the pitch soon!

Clive July 29, 2013 7:13 pm

Martin, from an older rnow retired rugby player who has broke both legs, a knee and a number of other injuries, stick at it and get a full and successful recovery.
Keep the boots clean ready for the next game mate, you will be fine!!

Poor lad indeed July 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Oh OUCH, just hearing the snap made me cringe. Heal quick mate.

tronkster July 29, 2013 7:52 pm

Get better soon bud.

The Stonewall July 29, 2013 8:06 pm

All the best mate, get well soon and smash it when you get back playing!

Si July 29, 2013 8:07 pm

Best wishes from Germany. Hope you recover well and get playing again sooner, rather than later.

DrG July 29, 2013 8:22 pm

Don't mean to post the first "downer" comment, but I didn't like the way he was left out there initially..

Injury occurs, all team mates scatter from the crumpled body. I get that it's massively horrific, (and I'd probably be off) but might have been nice if one of them tried to stick by his head end..

Congratulations for making RugbyDump, perhaps not the way he wanted too, but I'm sure he'll be on again in the future for more positive things. Good luck and glad to hear the recovery is; so far, going well. Hope you get back to the field soon.

JC July 29, 2013 8:52 pm

Martin, I broke my tib and fib three years ago playing rugby in similar fashion. I was out for a season but have been playing again since. I wish you all the best for your recovery, and your future career.
JC

LS July 29, 2013 9:24 pm

haha love the silver lining to this: may have a horrific leg break but you get 20 lovely college girls giving you attention. you win some you loose some

Vance July 29, 2013 11:26 pm

From a retired rugby player from the USA, hang I'm there and beat wishes for a full recovery!!!

Keith Richiardi July 30, 2013 12:06 am

Speedy Recovery Martin ...... Keep the Faith ....... Best Wishes from Dundee Eagles J.R.F.C. under 13's ( Scotland )

Marc July 30, 2013 12:58 am

Get well soon wishes from Perth!

Motjan July 30, 2013 6:27 am

Get well soon!!!

Benmillster July 30, 2013 7:20 am

Horrific...I watched the video but I wish I hadnt - All the best Martin - Have a speedy recovery and all the best for the future.

Yann July 30, 2013 7:28 am

Get well soon mate! Yann from Belgium

Stubby July 30, 2013 4:34 pm

Reminds me of Joe Theismann and some of the football (soccer) stuff on youtube.

Cringe!!!!!!!

All the best July 30, 2013 7:58 pm

Wishing you a speedy recovery! All the way from Hong Kong.

Bat July 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Be strong Martin, its a big mans game and sometimes this happens, but only sometimes, mostly is just great fun. Thoughts and prayers with you big man.

Ravens6 July 30, 2013 11:28 pm

Hi Martin,
I have been that player, Tib & Fib mid shaft full break.
I have an IM nail for the rest of my days, but it didn't stop me playing. To prove a point to people that said my leg wasn't strong enough to last a tough 80 mins, I ran the Dublin City marathon in 3hrs 55mins 22sec. I lift more weight now than I did before the break. The reason, I concentrated on the way I exercise and wouldn't let it beat me.
I can tell you now It will be tough, you will feel like throwing in the towel some days and you will probably be fearful of tackles when you get to play but remember this you hit hard before the break and nothing has changed you can still hit big.
When you get the first month over you mail or tweet me and I'll give you some tips for getting your head back in the game.
Take it from someone who has been there and returned to the pitch and is still playing at 39, 15years after the break.
Get well soon lad.
Twitter @iFitnessIreland

Benny July 31, 2013 8:42 am

Get well mate. A friend of mine had the same injury in school, playing soccer of all things. He was eventually back on his feet and became a pro cyclist. Don't let this stop you!

Owen Kock July 31, 2013 11:18 am

You guys used my photograph without my permission.

Baptiste August 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Salut Martin

Je joue au rugby en France, donc en tant que joueur de rugby je te souhaite bon courage et bon rétablissement !!

Baptiste