Sunday, April 07, 2013

Stade Francais' Jerome Fillol spits in Peter Stringer's face

Bath crashed out of the Amlin Challenge Cup with a 36-20 quarter final loss to Stade Francais at the Rec on Saturday, but it was a shocking spitting incident in the first half that claimed all the headlines. Peter Stringer has since said that he was 'disgusted'.

Stade Francais scored some lovely tries in their dismantling of the home side but this incident soured affairs regardless of the result. It occured when Stringer and Fillol got in a bit of a tangle after the whistle, and despite competitive tussles between halfbacks being the norm, there appeared to be no real reason for such a filthy reaction.

After the game Stringer said: "Obviously it is a bit raw at the moment, but it happened on the pitch and there is no place in the game for it. That's as low as you can probably go. When you are on the end of something like that you are rattled by it, but try not to dwell on it. It's out of my hands now."

The former Ireland number nine was livid but kept his cool, telling referee Nigel Owens what happened. Owens' response was something along the lines of "I can only deal with what I see".

Stringer took to Twitter this morning, clearly still unhappy about Fillol's behaviour.

Stringer disgusted by Fillol spitting

Fans will be hoping appropriate action is taken, which we will find out about tomorrow. Independant citing officer Eugene Ryan, from Ireland, has 50 hours from kick-off to make his decision.

Brett Gosper, CEO of the International Rugby Board (IRB) Tweeted: "Spitting on Stringer should be punished to the full extent of the law. #NotRugby"

UPDATE: Fillol has been suspended for 14 weeks. Read all the hearing details here

Posted in Big Hits & Dirty Play

Guy April 07, 2013 10:02 pm

Looks like something from the 'Dupuy-book-of-tricks-for-French-scrumhalfs'. With the proper footage I hope they will give him a minimum of 30 weeks. Filthy bastard!

Joe April 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Absolutely disgusting. A disgrace to the sport. What a prick.

Visco April 07, 2013 10:20 pm

"I can only deal with what I see"...
I thought we had the video referee in rugby ...
Digusting

rugbyguy9 April 07, 2013 10:24 pm

They need to send a msg, ban him for a year! No place for that in the game!

POCandROG April 07, 2013 10:26 pm

Strings is a legend and a gentlemen, it took a bug man not to react to that. Class personified Stringer as always. Crazy for Munster to loan him out

stroudos April 07, 2013 11:45 pm

Yes, got to hand to Stringer for keeping his cool. Personally I'd much rather have seen him unleash a flurry of punches.

LeicScarlet April 09, 2013 11:26 am

String was well within his rights to bang him one.

DanKnapp April 07, 2013 10:31 pm

Ban him. This is one of the worst things I've seen on here in a while. As someone commenting on facebook said about this, I'd rather be punched in the face than spat on. This should be a serious ban to send a message loud and clear to others.

I thought the commentator got the tone absolutely right. Get him the **** out of here.

Colombes April 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Shit behaviour.
Give Fillol a ban to learn him how to use his saliva in a better way.

On a side note, any highlights of this SF victory or any other Amlin games?
Some tries in these games were topclass

Canafrikaaner April 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Thats a disgraceful lack of sportsmanship. Why though? cause you tried to make a run and got stuffed like turkey?

DanKnapp April 09, 2013 8:35 pm

That's a really good point, it's not like there was anything unusual from Stringer... Crazy reaction to a pretty standard piece of defensive play. I hope the lack of any obvious wind-up means he gets a longer ban. None of this 'previous good behaviour' bollocks.

colm April 07, 2013 10:46 pm

that supposed man had no right to be on the pitch after something like that. rugby is a sport for gentle men and not thugs like that, this is a low day for the sport and for stade francais

cheyanqui April 07, 2013 11:50 pm

Stringer is a Hall of Fame pest, at a rugby position where being a pest might be considered a specialist skill.

Many guys have wanted to retaliate against Stringer over the years. I'm sure there is a list as long as the day is. IMHO, some level of retaliation is usually "deserved" (even if it's not smart for your team) against a pest of a scrumhalf. Troncon's punch was deserved -- even though it was not wise.

But whatever Stringer might "deserve" put aside, the way an opponent chooses to retaliate reflects more on him than on Stringer.

No one can explain to me how spitting on an opponent somehow makes you good in the eyes of the rugby Gods.

matt April 08, 2013 1:31 pm

Everyone likes seeing a pesky scrum half put in their place, but you do that in the open and in a way that lays down the law about how far you're willing to let them push things. Spitting at him is the exact opposite of this.

matt April 08, 2013 1:31 pm

Canadian15 April 07, 2013 11:50 pm

That is just disgusting, says a lot about the character of both men. Excellent restraint showed by Stringer. If Fillol thinks that is any way to act in any situation at all then he needs a smack upside the head. What do you hope to prove by spitting at an opponent?

DrG April 07, 2013 11:52 pm

Best part of this is the link below to Mo-sporting Jamie Cudmore giving little Fillol a bashing.

Disgraceful behaviour as everyone has said. I agree, I'd rather someone took a swing at me than tried to spit on me.

stroudos April 09, 2013 6:51 am

I can't stop watching that slow-motion of Cudmore clotheslining the cheating little prick. Over and over again, it just doesn't seem to get boring.

hedderball April 10, 2013 10:23 pm

Totally agree and what's interesting about that particular episode is the early signs of soccer player behaviour from Fillol in the way he writhed on the ground like he had been shot. I suppose we should have seen this coming.

Moodkid April 07, 2013 11:56 pm

When i saw title, I couldn't believe a French player did this...god...! This fucking asshole give the worst image of French rugby...it's a SHAME. Ban him !!!!

Vanadyel April 08, 2013 12:28 am

I wonder which law Brett Gosper is refering to, and which punishment is considered in that case (suspension? fine?).
Things get usually dirty on the field. I hope Jérôme Fillol will at least apologize to the player for this...

poccio April 08, 2013 1:10 am

my guess is unsportsmanlike conduct would surly cover it

moddeur April 08, 2013 12:44 am

Ban him for a few months.

TotesMcGoates April 08, 2013 1:33 am

What gets me about this is that there was nothing in it to warrant Fillol's reaction. I'll never understand a rugby player who gets upset when he is tackled. Very disappointing.

CEO Front Row Union April 08, 2013 3:15 am

Put him between a couple of front rows ... we will sort out the nasty little banker

Canadian content April 08, 2013 7:30 am

Ok Nigel why didn't u use the video ref option? A quick word with the boys upstairs when u r told this happened and he'd have been issued a red card surely. If he finds out stringer is lying, he cards him. He option is there, should it not be used?

matt April 08, 2013 1:33 pm

I was thinking exactly the same thing. It wasn't as if Stringer was making a trivial complaint either.

Canadian15 April 08, 2013 4:52 pm

Heineken Cup is not part of the trial allowing TMOs to review foul play.

ConnachtMan April 08, 2013 11:01 am

The slippery slope to football continues, ...ban him.

Mitchell April 08, 2013 5:29 pm

It is a bit worrying that Stade in particular have had this happen, and had to deal with Parisse swearing at the referee. Sadly, some rugby players seem to be acting more like footballers recently (even the reaction of SF to Parisse's sending off ie. Dupuy). Ban him for as long as possible.

Ted The Rugby Head April 08, 2013 11:38 pm

Indeed ConnachtMan that is what we as Rugby people must rage against. This kind of behavious cannot be allowed, that is what separates us from the ridiculousness of football...

browner April 08, 2013 4:37 pm

Ban him , & then transfer to Paris St Germain !

I'm constantly amazed at the 'line of acceptablity' by some commentators on this site
Stamping , dropping on head, arms smashing through necks and faces , even gouging & arm breaking seem to be all more acceptable than spitting in the sanction level demanding of some.

Stringer has gone up in my respect, for his control , but we all know that the reactors get more punishment than the catalysts in most occassions, so he was on a hiding to nothing if he'd reacted.

This is a classic instance of when Video/TV replays have massive value to rid our sport of this crap..

Quasimylo April 08, 2013 5:29 pm

It's interesting that you bring up the TMO here.
Like everybody else, I thought Peter Stringer acted with great self-restraint and class in the face of the disgusting behaviour by Fillol.
However, if he had reacted, caused a mellee, and then complained about the spit, it is possible that Nigel Owens would have referred the incident to the TMO (assuming you can do that in the Challenge Cup as in the Premeirship). If the TMO had seen it then Fillol would surely have been sent off.
A less noble approach would have potentially benefitted his team.

Canadian15 April 08, 2013 6:10 pm

Challenge Cup is not part of the TMO extended power trials which is why he did not refer the incident upstairs

browner April 09, 2013 3:03 pm

yes, I've been told the same, hense NO couldn't get help ......

I'd like to see TMO for these kinda things, but i'm also aware that it will open the floodgates for all players to start complaining about many things, so i can see a downside

DrG April 14, 2013 3:55 am

Wow, browner threw in a comment which isn't completely one dimensional and one sided.... There's a first for everything.

Stubby April 08, 2013 5:14 pm

head of IRB is calling for full extent of the law which in this case is 52 weeks

browner April 09, 2013 3:05 pm

Now he should keep out ...... politics !

Reality April 08, 2013 6:22 pm

I'm with everyone else here. That was one of the most atrocious acts I've ever seen on a rugby pitch. I hope he gets made an example of. And as several people have said, what did he even do it for? He got tackled legally and fairly, so he spits in the guys face? No mitigating circumstances whatsoever, so no excuse at all.

And I'm not a fan of Stringer at all, but he reacted incrediby well, considering what had happened. Hats off to him.

cheyanqui April 08, 2013 7:14 pm

I miss the old days, where if this was missed, the two captains and the ref would have huddled together and either the ref or the Bath captain would have said to Parisse:

"Sergio. We know something happened, and something got missed. In the interest of the game, and your players' safety, I strong suggest that #9 may have injured himself (i.e. before tactical subs, you could only sub injuries) at the next stoppage of play.

I would hate to be looking the other way at the next breakdown, and see you #9 come out of it with his back looking like a meat grinder crossed over it. But I only have two eyes to watch 30 players. I just might not see something. After all, I may have just missedd something now.

Caramackid April 09, 2013 10:03 pm

Absolutely right I am just watching this with my son trying to explain how despicable and revolting this act is. I can confirm having been spat on myself in the early 80's ( I was a nasty obnoxious second row who gave out to the opposition and usually got it in the neck) your supposition and recollection of events is what occurred . I am pleased to say the offender( Greenock academy back) was rucked until he bled!
No place in the game give him a years ban

Cmkd

Caramackid April 09, 2013 10:03 pm

No place in the game give him a years ban

Cmkd

Colombes April 08, 2013 7:55 pm

Fresh news: Reasonably, Fillol have been cited by ERC for his spitting

Few french haters and all rugby lovers are relieved
Llamas are said to be scandalized by this decision

cheyanqui April 08, 2013 9:55 pm

Sure the head of the IRB is calling for 52 weeks..

But "remorse" usually gets a few weeks shaved off.

And in the IRB world, you can show remorse by being sorry you got caught, it doesn't seem that you actually have to be sorry for what you did.

kadova April 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Disgusting !
I just read in an Irish paper a player who spat on gtot a 1 year ban. I want the same for Fillol.

On a side note, it looked that Parisse never insulted the referee in THAT incident. Ref complained Parisse said F*** off but Parisse was speaking in italian, not in english...

kadova April 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Sorry i meant .....a player who spat on a female spectator got....

Col P April 09, 2013 12:11 am

Spitting in someone's face is an Actual Bodily Assault, he should be arrested and charged, disgusting

Ravens6 April 09, 2013 1:39 am

If any player did that in a club match in Ireland or UK he would have got a slap from his own players, No place for that scumbag in Rugby, Soccer wouldn't even have him. Stringer was the ultimate professional as usual and walked away, should add to the Ban as the stringer did not provoke or retaliate. Hope it's a 52week ban. that will send the message.

browner April 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Ahem.... correction - soccer would have him !!
Rijkaard spat at Völler world cup 1990, & Rijkaard went on to manage barcelona & Holland ! !

Mind you Calum Clark offences overshadow Fillol's , so I can see 4 wks coming, Sadly..

redwan_ April 09, 2013 7:06 pm

He should get a year for that kind of behaviour.

shane wolfe April 09, 2013 9:46 pm

sick scumbag!! i wish stringer knocked him out

Rhif7 April 10, 2013 8:13 am

Absolutely disgusting. Unfortunately given the recent leniency shown in the Parisee's despicable insolence toward the referee and officials (standard for him) where he was given only a 30 day ban, that was laughably reduced on appeal by 10 days, I fear Fillol will get away with a 4-7 week ban. It now appears that football style behaviour is acceptable but legitimate hard tackling; Warburton in WC semi, or Tom Varndells superb tackle http://www.rugbydump.com/2013/01/2951/tom-varndell-tip-tackle-on-horacio-agulla is now deemed dangerous. If the powers that be at the IRB, Paddy O'Brien et al., want to continue like this, I suggest the abdicate and take up football. Rugby is a MAN's game there should be no place for spitting and backchat, I hope that he is banned for the full 52 weeks.

MunsterFan April 10, 2013 3:13 pm

I want to see this little idiot BANNED FOR 50+ weeks. This is not soccer, it has no place in OUR game!!

Rugbydump April 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Calon Lan April 11, 2013 10:25 pm

It's a disgusting thing to do and there's never any excuse for such behaviour.

I'm confused by the length of the ban though, how is it that this offence get's a longer ban than many potentially dangerous incidents on the pitch?

I'm not excusing what he did in any way but for the sake of the players who've suffered due to things such as malicious and illegal hits this just makes no sense no sense to me.

TotesMcGoates April 12, 2013 3:41 pm

You have to consider that most of the 14 weeks will be in the off season.

ajb April 12, 2013 10:09 am

Apparently there is history of this between them. According to The Times today, Fillol spat on Stringer during an U-21 international in 1999.

And apparently Fillol's remorse did include crying during the hearing

ajb April 12, 2013 10:09 am

And apparently Fillol's remorse did include crying during the hearing

TotesMcGoates April 12, 2013 3:38 pm

So, he gets banned for the remaining five fixtures in le Top 14 and potentially two games in the ECC?? Then the rest of the ban is in the off season. Not enough from my POV.

matt April 14, 2013 2:30 pm

No, he also misses any chance of playing in the international tours, and misses the pre season too, the time in the summer where there is no rugby is not included in the ban, did you actually read the article?

matt April 14, 2013 2:31 pm

However I think he should have got the 52 weeks. Either that or shot, no place for scum like this