Thursday, November 15, 2012

Scotland's David Denton puts Richie McCaw on his backside

Scotland loose forward Dave Denton has been rewarded for his strong play against New Zealand with a starting spot this coming weekend against his former homeland, South Africa. He says he is relishing the physical challenge that the Springboks will bring.

Born in Zimbabwe but schooled in South Africa, Denton is more than familiar with some of the players he'll be up against at Murrayfield this Saturday. "Every Test match is a massive game for me, but these are the guys I grew up watching," he said.

"They were all over the press and they were the guys I always saw when I was growing up. In terms of personally challenge myself, it’s great, something I’ve wanted to do for a while."

Denton was left out of the Scotland starting line-up after some below par club performances, but got his opportunity off the bench when Ross Rennie picked up an injury in the first half. He carried well and made an impact that sparked a series of good forward play from the home side.

He's hoping that this weekend the Murrayfield faithful will see more of the same.

"I've always backed myself and I’ve always been open about backing myself. I knew that if I was playing well there would be a spot from me in the team. Fortunately, I did well enough against New Zealand to warrant a chance against South Africa, but I’m in no way taking it for granted.

"I know what the competition is like in the back row in this country. I like the look of the back row. It’s a big back row, and going up against their [Springboks] back row I think we need that.

"I’m looking forward to it. I know what I have got to do too. I've got to get out there, really challenge them physically, get the ball in my hands and make some tackles. They are big guys and they carry very hard. If we get bullied we will lose the game," he said.

While Scotland conceded fifty points in a heavy loss on Saturday, one of the fans' favourite moments was when big carrying Denton knocked over All Black captain Richie McCaw, a site very rarely seen over the course of his 114 Tests.

It was one of the most requested moments of the weekend, and while it wasn't replayed at the time so we unfortunately only got one look at it when watching live, here it is again for those that asked.

Scotland host South Africa at Murrayfield on Saturday 17th Nov, Kickoff 14:30 GMT

Posted in Big Hits & Dirty Play, See it to Believe it

jeppy89 November 15, 2012 9:06 pm

That has made my day, so so loving that

anonymous November 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Jesus christ denton!!!!! Awesome running!!!

browner November 16, 2012 12:10 am

A product of South Africa's rugby development program ....... zzzzzzzzzzzz

jeppy89 November 15, 2012 9:07 pm

That has made my day, so so loving that

Juggernauter November 15, 2012 9:46 pm

BOOOM!! Sit down Richie

Benny November 15, 2012 9:54 pm

A few moments later we see Weepu doing more than he did all season and holds up an almost certain Scottish try. But then we go back for a penalty - did anyone see when the penalty was awarded and what for?

Canadian content November 16, 2012 12:59 am

Actually I've seen mccaw get abused quite a bit in his career, straight armed, smashed in th tackle, etc, I think it's a consequence of being around he ball so much.

That being said thanks for the post RD I was hoping to see it again. Visser got smashed in the second half, would be nice to see that or a compilation of hit :)

stroudos November 16, 2012 12:03 pm

I assume you're not suggesting he was straight armed or abused here?

Feddderico November 16, 2012 1:59 am

I remember the firts time that saw Denton playing was in the 6 nations.. remember him playing number 8, catching the ball from the srum and making troubles in the rival defense! You instantly notices that is an impact player when he gets the ball!

Gonzoman November 16, 2012 5:23 pm

I'll bet King Richie thinks Denton is an "impact" player!

kk kenya November 16, 2012 4:53 am

david "DENTS" richie... lol.. good on u mate.

leinster_jonny November 16, 2012 5:45 am

Love seeing that cheating bastard getting it! Especially when there is no chance of the kiwis bitching about a cheapshot on precious little Richie!

WAIKATO886 November 16, 2012 6:47 am

...wow... Calm down. Lol. Good bump though..

leinster_jonny November 16, 2012 6:55 am

...wow... another kiwi trawling the internet to make sure nobody and I mean nobody says anything bad about Sir Richie....haha...you guys crack me up!

That Guy November 16, 2012 7:08 am

Bahahahaha. The utter hate you have for Richie screams of envy.

devon_dave November 16, 2012 7:14 am

You're being a silly little boy jonny, and boring too.

stroudos November 16, 2012 11:58 am

leinster_jonny:

Hilarious lack of awareness of your own hypocrisy, considering your contributions to these boards.

You're the worst troll I've seen in a while - "worst" in two senses, ie you're annoying with your dull and boring persistence; and you're also just really shit at trolling.

rugby08 November 16, 2012 1:25 pm

There's nothing worse than a Leinster troll

WAIKATO886 November 16, 2012 7:20 am

Haha. You can say whatever you want about him mate.. Go hard.... Lol

leinster_jonny November 16, 2012 7:26 am

Calm yourselves my kiwi bretheren, soon MCcaw will be knighted and laws will be made to stop people like me voicing my opinion....hush now...it will all be over soon

devon_dave November 16, 2012 8:53 am

still boring

Hayden H November 16, 2012 8:36 pm

Its only cheating if penalised.

I would accept it if you were a Munster support, since they have actually beaten the All Blacks but Leinster havent... pity.

Larry November 16, 2012 7:30 am

lol leinster_jonny...I think you are about have have a run in with 'The One Who's Name We May Not Speak Badly Of' police.

katman November 16, 2012 7:41 am

Denton's a great player and thoroughly deserves his starting place. But now another Saffa no.8 has headed for Scotland and has hinted at hoping to make the Scottish squad one day: the bearded captain of the Lions, Josh Strauss.

And probably an even better loose forward prospect, CJ Stander (from the Bulls) has moved to Ireland and said he'd like to one day play for Ireland.

Not sure what my point is, except that one day we'll have more talent playing abroad than for the Boks.

Benny November 16, 2012 9:38 am

We also want a Strauss in our forward pack! Preferably one with a big beard rather than a ginger. Where can we get one?

katman November 16, 2012 9:58 am

Who is “we”? Once I know your requirements, I can possibly recommend a Strauss that’s right for you. We have a few more. Adriaan Strauss is a blond hooker who will be without a Bok job once Bismarck’s feeling better (although his Bok history might make him slightly ineligible). Then we also have a centre, Andries, who is considered a bit of a journeyman and has just signed for the Kings in Port Elizabeth. Not too flashy, but a strong runner and punishing defender. Can’t think of any more, except maybe Tiaan, who is in his mid to late forties now and hasn’t played in about 15 years. But he’s played for the Boks and Australia (even got a WC medal with them) and used to tackle wildebeest to practice his technique (or so the story goes). Maybe good for a coaching job? Let me know and I’ll set it up.

Benny November 16, 2012 10:07 am

I'm a kiwi so probably we'd like a 7ft Strauss at lock if you have one. But I'm also a Blues supporter so we'd take pretty much anyone you have, young, old, women, children or the infirm. Couldn't get much worse than the squad we currently have :)

Tanqueray November 16, 2012 11:49 am

Cheers RD. I've been waiting for this one to pop up. Always knew it would. It's a shame the BBC didn't get more angles of it.

Dents hasn't had a great season so far, since coming back from injury, but he had a point to prove on Sunday and proved it. Great player, and one of the nicest guys you'll meet.

stroudos November 16, 2012 12:01 pm

RDIt was one of the most requested moments of the weekend

Really?? Some really dull and jealous bastards out there, eh? Bloody funny though, I must admit!

Colombes November 16, 2012 12:07 pm

Good impact and runner 8
I remember he played an hell of match vs England during the last 6N

Curt November 16, 2012 12:28 pm

A lot of good sevens and sixes in the north at the moment and he's one of the them, should be interesting to see who gets a Lions nod...

Pretzel November 16, 2012 12:45 pm

Keep thinking this guys name is "Dale Denton"... I realise now that is a character from Pineapple Express....

....."Pineapple Express guy puts Richie McCaw on his backside"... now that would be impressive...

Guy November 16, 2012 4:11 pm

The only 'uniqueness' of the video is that it's McCaw that gets bumped. The rest of the video is pretty average since we see this kind of thing in almost every match.

Well, nice food for all Kiwi/McCaw haters.

welshhero November 18, 2012 4:17 pm

if you gonna do it, do it properly! Andy Simple Smash!