Tuesday, May 15, 2012

School of Hard Knocks 2012 - Episodes 3 & 4 (Finale)

Today we complete the School of Hard Knocks with the final two episodes, as well as some updates, and a chat to one of the participants. It was a fantastic eight week-long project, and has yet again made genuine changes to the lives of those involved.

If you haven't watched the show yet, go ahead and watch the two parts below, but be sure to come back and read more as we've caught up with one of the standout leaders, Michael Finnegan, to find out what he and some of the other guys are up to lately.

He told us that the experience has made a 'real and lasting difference in my life'.

"We trained with World Cup winners and had Shaun Edwards as our defensive coach for the day. The whole experience has been amazing and I've made some friends for life from it all," he said.

"Myself, Colin, Bruno, Hames, Lee and Jack Cannon, Pedro, Louis, Demitrius, and Daniel are meeting up at the end of the month for a few beers in Central London.

"Over the last couple of weeks I have been working with Saracens and Hitz Rugby as a community coach. I'm currently looking for full-time employment and I continue to play rugby wherever a prop is needed," Michael said.

He also explained that the charity he was working on (as mentioned at the end of the show) isn't going ahead unfortunately, as the setup costs are too steep at this stage.

Some recent updates on a few of the guys:

Pedro: Studying for an HND in IT at London School of Science and Technology. He is hoping to get CISCO qualified as well and is seeking sponsorship and an internship to help him achieve these goals. He continues to play rugby Haringey Rhinos.

Bruno: Is currently playing for Southend RFC but Lyn Jones is keen to get him involved in the London Welsh set up, providing that his basic skill sets improve. Southend play in the 4th tier of English Rugby. He is working closely with Michael Henderson, and wants to get a professional qualification in the fitness industry.

Colin: Just got a job in recruitment and starts in June. He continues to perform in Comedy clubs across London, and is playing rugby for Haringey Rhinos.

Louis: He still works as a DJ part time and has been training as a wide receiver for an American Football team in north London, but rugby is his passion, and he will be training with Blackheath from July. He is available for full time work opportunities.

Anthony: Is currently working for Paddy Power and plays for Shooters Hill RFC.

James: Plays Rugby for Edinburgh Northern RFC and has just finished his internship with Grant Thornton. He wants to train as a teacher and is working towards his coaching badges.

Many of the participants are still looking for full-time employment, so if you can help out in any way, please don't hesitate to get in touch with Ken Cowan at ken@schoolofhardknocks.org.uk.

As always, thanks to Sky Sports for a brilliant production, and everyone else involved. Both parts below are over 45 minutes long, but extrememly inspirational, enjoyable, and well worth watching.

Posted at 9:05 am | 19 comments

Posted in School of Hard Knocks

Chuddersfan May 15, 2012 2:08 pm

love seeing Chudders doing his nut. Quality stuff

Bobby Brown May 15, 2012 2:43 pm

I'm a huge admirer of what the SOHK is actually doing.
* Here is a link from a previous post to explain why - background.

The following link from Chris Chudleigh's 'Rugbyperformance' website gives a brilliant insight into the 'Process'.

Seeing broken lives being ‘restored’ is truly uplifting. The individuals involved ‘realising’ their true potential and worth as men. Not ‘accepting’ preconceived falsehoods based on lies. Believing in themselves. Understanding ‘true’ fellowship. Being helped to help themselves.
It is impossible not to warm to those brave individuals. Men of value.
They actually give me the inspiration, drive and strength to become a better person.
They're already leading by example from their respective SOHK courses.

*Every credit to those involved with SOHK. What you’re all doing is immeasurable.

Bobby

Ando May 15, 2012 5:07 pm

Brilliant series once again. Fantastic to see the values and spirit of rugby used to change lives.

Joost NL May 15, 2012 5:59 pm

Absolutely amazing, I've watched it all with goose bumps and tears in my eyes.. I am lost for words. Here I sit, moved til the bone..

Guest May 15, 2012 6:08 pm

Is there not 6 episodes?

Rugbydump May 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Nope. As said on the first one, there was a recap show before, then 4 of 45 mins, rather than 6 of 30.

Ruggernut May 16, 2012 1:37 am

Anyone else get chills when the final whistle blew?

TJH May 16, 2012 11:09 am

Love watching the show but one thing i would say is that i think the lads kit and the met police kit was way too similar!

Mute May 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Good on the lads, I've been playing for years and still sometimes our team will get beaten worse than 36 - 7!

Pretzel May 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Lol, I remember being fortunate enough to be on the winning side in a 70-0 game. I was playing second row in that game and really it got to the point where most of us (forwards) stood fairly still once the ball was in hand as the backs just ran straight through the opposition. It was probably the only game I recall where I felt like I could play another 80 minutes at the end. I have been on the wrong end of some pretty cruel scorelines in the past myself, I can't recall them though, they're obviously pushed into the deepest darkest corners of my memory, hopefully never to be dredged up again!

tony May 17, 2012 2:16 pm

I have to say reality shows are in the main a pain in the backside...........SOHK is no such show , its gritty , addictive and represents real life. The guys that take part in this deserve every opportunity to change their lives for the better , they deserve a break in life.

There are no ego`s on the show , it is clear all those involved are doing it with other people in mind through their love of the game of rugby. Great characters on the show................has to be said Scott Quinnell take a bow , what an absolute legend.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to the next series

Pretzel May 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Lol, in all fairness it is worth a watch just to see Anthony bounce a tiny football player and get sent back to the club house loool...

Louis Windsor May 20, 2012 4:10 pm

just been catching up on these last couple episodes today.. it really was an incredible experience and a great opportunity.. glad you guys enjoyed watching us play and thanks to RD for posting

Rugbydump May 20, 2012 8:58 pm

Good stuff Louis, thanks for stopping by, and well done! Great commitment on the show, and we hope you're doing well.

Pretzel May 21, 2012 2:47 pm

Hey Louis. Congratulations on the win, great to see you all sticking to it.

Hope you frequent the site more often.

Oh a quick question for anyone if they remember... I think it was the police game where they mention that someone didn't turn up... was he late? did he turn up in the end? did he continue the show? I somehow missed that bit and never went back...

Sjrugby May 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Is ep4 not loaded up yet ?

Rugbydump May 20, 2012 8:56 pm

It should play automatically above, after ep 3, or just hit the playlist button on the video and select it manually.

Sjrugby May 20, 2012 10:56 pm

Thank you I just finished it, amazing. Truly inspiring , looking forward to the next season