Wednesday, August 31, 2011

England beat Ireland in Dublin - Manu Tuilagi and Delon Armitage tries

England beat Ireland in Dublin - Manu Tuilagi and Delon Armitage tries

Earlier in the week we took a look at the Manu Tuilagi tackle on David Wallace that resulted in injury, so today we'll have a quick look at the tries from the match for those who missed it, or just want to watch them again.

As you may have heard by now, Ireland lost their fourth match in succession as England came up trumps 20-9, with tries from Tuilagi and Delon Armitage, as well as some assured kicking from Jonny Wilkinson, proving the difference between the two sides.

Ireland have now slipped from fourth to eighth on the IRB World Rankings in the space of about a month, and while on paper they've still got a team who can do well in New Zealand, their form and injury problems will be a major concern.

England on the other hand have bounced back from a few poor performances, and with young Tuilagi in the midfield look to have reignited a few of their senior players, Mike Tindall included. He fed off the Samoan born center's energy and had one of his best games for England in recent times. In fact the whole side seemed to pick things up, just in time for their RWC departure.

"You want to win games and this is a tough place to come and win. It just demonstrates to us, if we ever have doubts, when we go and do what we talk about doing, its effective and were a pretty decent team," said coach Martin Johnson.

"There was lots not perfect about it but we did a lot of good things as well."

Below are short highlights from the match, mainly featuring the tries if you missed them.

Time: 03:10
Follow RD on Twitter | Join the RD community on Facebook

Madflyhalf August 31, 2011 5:51 pm

first!

Anonymous August 31, 2011 5:53 pm

^^bell end^^

Anonymous August 31, 2011 6:03 pm

- NH rugby is so boring and low scoring.

- Tuilangi shouldn't be playing for england.

- England are arrogant.

- Ashton is a cock.

There you go. Now that i've commented this no one else needs to and hopefully the discussion can be about the game.

MatthewMayo November 27, 2012 1:14 am

England and English teams have been arrogant on many occasions, and Chris Ashton has been a dick on occasion too.

Poxmiester August 31, 2011 6:03 pm

Such a poor display but hopefully things will come together in the group!

worldcupsoon August 31, 2011 6:05 pm

stuart barnes "the one handed hand-off"...as opposed to the two handed hand-off?! Hate to be pedantic but god i hate stuart barnes.
Also watch Ashton's support on the tuilagi try. NICE.

Dr. Bishop August 31, 2011 6:16 pm

I remember when Armitage hit O'driscol with a super hard late tackle one 6 nations year not long ago. Ever since then Ive hated that kermit the frog looking player. England can be a dirty team when it comes down 2 it. For the reason above and previous games I will never support English Rugby. Even though I am a direct decendant.

Dr. Bishop August 31, 2011 6:19 pm

To Anonymous, You think Rugby is boring?! You should try growing up to American Football. Good Freakin Grief man, that is boring. Should we make Rugby more exciting by updating it with a Generation X rule, like some sort of Ultimate Fighter thing allowed?

Juggernauter August 31, 2011 6:19 pm

Good to know that the Hape days are over. Tuliagi and Tindall form a good centre partnership, I'd even say that Tindall feels more confident playing with Manu, hence the little grubber kick for Armitage's try and the solid running.

I think England will top their pool, after a hard game with Scotland with a lot of kicking, an easy win over Argentina (they still don't find the players to create a real threat in attack or defence, and being without Hernndez will put too much pressure for Contepomi to cope with, and I think Argentina will be the big dissapointment of the World Cup along with South Africa) and being pushed strongly in the physical aspect of the game by Georgia and Romania.

After that, anything can happen, but I will strongly cheer for the aussies and the french!

Any thoughts?

Dave_7 August 31, 2011 6:53 pm

England looking solid. I'd start Armitage ahead of Cueto, when Cueto intercepted in the match he could've gone all the way but stopped after 5 metres to wait for support! Never been a fan of Cueto anyway, too old and slow now!

Can't wait for the action to start! Ireland can still do very well in RWC if everyone performs, they'll get some confidence back if they beat USA by a good margin.

I think any of the Pacific Island teams can create upsets, and it'll be interesting to see if The All Blacks will handle all the pressure but when they're on form they're unstoppable.

I'm a bit worried about England's back row options, i think we needed another specialist in the squad but maybe Johnno is thinking Lawes can fill in at 6? Hope Youngs will be fit enough too.

I wish Wallace a fast recovery too, always been a fan of his, great player and such a shame he'll miss the RWC.

Chris Boy August 31, 2011 7:06 pm

"the one-handed hand off" - as opposed to...?

ilexvunibola August 31, 2011 7:38 pm

The anonymous guy saying NH is boring and Tuilagi shouldnt play for England could you pls explain why and what would you do better the situation ? Could you also say your name dont hide behind the unknown!

Anonymous August 31, 2011 7:42 pm

jesus i thought rugby fans were supposed to be educated...

If some of you read ALL of poster 3's posts, you wouldn't have to waste your time disagreeing with the beginning of it.

To compound making that error, Dr Bishop has then decided to generalise an entire nation's rugby players by the single action of one of their internationals.

Do they not teach Critical Thinking, Reading and Comprehension in schools nowadays?

Anonymous August 31, 2011 7:58 pm

Whats happened to Rob Kearney?

I hate ppl who write August 31, 2011 8:19 pm

1.I would hazard a guess that Anon was being sarcastic and was poking fun at the usual trolls that come on here.

2.On Tuilagi he is Samoan, that would be a strong argument that he should be playing for them. The initial 40man squad leading up to the World cup warm-ups had 11 foreign born players on. That's odd for a nation who's sporting journalists delight in insinuating that the AB's "steal" players from the islands around them.

3. Dr Bishop, if you keep watching rugby long enough you'll run out of nations to root for. Every country has it's late tacklers, nigglers, downright dirty players.

4. Rob kearney's on the RWC squad. S.O'Brien, Brian O'Driscoll and Rob Kearney were rested for this game as they are all fresh back from injury. Geordan Murphy played well though, so hardly a deciding factor in the game.

Having said all that, I don't personally think England are strong because of foreign born internationals, they've reached 3 RWC finals and won one.
As an Irish fan I think we lost because we didn't play well, plain and simple. England bullied at the breakdown, and played simple direct rugby down the middle, but there was very little flair outside of that. It wasn't a great game for the neutrals I would imagine, very stop and start.

At Juggernauter, I would think the French are Europes best hope, but to be honest I would like to see the All-Blacks take the title if Ireland aren't going to (very unlikely I'm afraid on the Irish front!)

Anonymous August 31, 2011 8:22 pm

Manu was lucky to play against that pitiful Earls, it would be a different story with BOD... Anyway, England looking good before the WC, Jonny-Tindall-Manu is a great midfield

I hate ppl who write August 31, 2011 8:26 pm

Just a footnote on what I thought was some terrible refereeing, England practically played the game and some strange calls on high tackles were made on Earls while Armitage made quite a few that went unpunished.
Any thoughts? Am I just being bias? I'm an Irish fan so it may be the case, I just can't remember the last time I had so little time for a ref.

I hate ppl who write August 31, 2011 8:27 pm

^^^^practically played the game in off-side!..sorry

Reality August 31, 2011 8:32 pm

I used to be a big Kidney supporter but I've lost all faith in him. He obviously can't coach modern-day rugby, and he obviously has his favourite players that he picks no matter how bad or out of form they are, for example D'arcy and Paddy Wallace. And Earls has never been a reliable outside centre; why wasn't McFadden or Bowe there? I mean a decent first half performance against the All Blacks in November and a great game against England are all the team have done in the last 15 matches about. This is just 2007 all over again, only this time Ireland are going into it after a terrible Six Nations.

But he keeps going on about how the team are going places and improving. Losing every match and not playing well in any way does NOT count as improving.

And he was given a two year contract extension before the world cup even started. That was a great idea. Eddie O'Sullivan all over again.

I hate ppl who write August 31, 2011 8:40 pm

^^^I hate that I have to agree with you there. I just kept thinking James Downey as I saw our centres stop dead in their tracks with the ball and get dragged around the pitch while trying to tackle...and don't get me started on having someone like Fionn Carr to burst in as a sub and liven things up. These problems were showing last Nov but as you say, Kidney stuck with his favourites.
Let's hope we're proven wrong during the tournament!

Anonymous August 31, 2011 9:12 pm

I'm an england fan but have never been a fan of armitage...

I guess the guy has talent, but I find him doing stupid stuff 90% of the time, like stupid niggly stuff.. and it pisses me off...

I sort of never really rated him as a player though, maybe he just needs time to shine...

SmellyNerfherder August 31, 2011 9:13 pm

Tindall looked really strong at 12: he claimed the assist on both of those tries, and in defence he was all over D'Arcy like a tramp on chips! I think we'll see him starting there more often! Cueto really hasn't got the pace anymore: wouldn't Sinbad have been lovely at 14?

Anonymous August 31, 2011 9:14 pm

^^^ "Time to shine" LOL!

You know what they say, "you can't polish a turd!"

Anonymous August 31, 2011 9:30 pm

Dr. Bishop, Armitage is a dirty player.

And yes, England have a habit of being dirty. Remember when BOD was kneed in the head by POC last year? Nobody seemed to pickup on the fact that Flutey tripped him.

See 0.25

Flutey trips with his right foot then tries to kick BOD's legs with his left foot.

I'm not sour about it, that just stuck in my mind.

View Video

Anonymous August 31, 2011 9:32 pm

Dave_7

England looking solid? Sorry mate, but do you realistically think our pick and drive will beat the top teams? It will only bring us so far. Yes, we'll make it out of the groups but if we come against a decent team, we're going to find it much harder. I can't remember Ireland in worse form and we don't thrash them. To be honest, the scoreline flatters England.

Anonymous August 31, 2011 9:34 pm

If that was O'Driscoll, Tuilagi wouldn't have scored the try. I'm a big Tuilagi fan, but it is well known that Keith Earls is a bad defender. He is not even a centre. He was completely caught out there. I think Tuilagi has huge potential but I don't think this is a good game to judge him on.

red August 31, 2011 9:34 pm

"...and it's also a day...not to get injured"

Well, wish that could've been true.

I'm not really a Tuilagi "fan", but only because I'm not an England fan. Clearly, he's a great up-and-coming prospect - someone to keep your eyes on, and hopefully he keeps improving.

Two tries in his first two games, sidelining a seasoned veteran - he sure isn't holding anything back!

...just wish he played for a different team ;)

Luxi August 31, 2011 9:34 pm

delon armitage might be a tiny bit in front of tindall when he grubbers it, so maybe shouldnt have been allowed

Anonymous August 31, 2011 9:38 pm

How was that tackle to the face (2.25) not penalised? Ireland had two terrible calls made against them for "high tackling" and this gets ignored? It wasn't even the first high tackle England made that was ignored by the ref and touch judges.

Anonymous August 31, 2011 9:49 pm

The earls bashing is a bit unfair i think. you cant tell a player when hes 19 to forget about being a centre, chuck him on the wing for 4 years and then throw him back in the centre a game before the WC and expect him to know the ins and outs of midfield defence...
Hes a world class player but has been confused by poor man-management...

Anonymous August 31, 2011 9:59 pm

It's not his fault. It's Kidney's. Earls just isnt a centre but he put him there anyway.

ConnachtFan August 31, 2011 10:01 pm

earls is a rabbit in headlights, carr should have bene picked for the squad, Christ he can score tries and is fastest irish player. Kidney is jaded and i am sorry, favours the old Munster guard.. James Downey being punished for playing in UK. Tony Buckley? Tony Fecking Buckley, couldnt prop an U-12 scrum,,meanwhile Jamie Hagan does not get a shout.... half the irish squad over 30!!!!! Jesus wept. Expet not to get out of pool. You heard it hear 1st, Conor O'Shea to be next Irish Coach.

Rich August 31, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Ashtons support line (worldcupspoon). That is quality, nigh on impossible to defend against. Just a shame England players don't tend to break the line often enough. Fingers crossed for the WC tho

Anonymous August 31, 2011 10:07 pm

Second Anoymous - please f#@k off and find a sight that fits you low IQ

ciaran August 31, 2011 10:13 pm

To be fair on Keith Earls he is int big enough for center. but he was prity good when he had the ball in hard and it must be hard to defend Tuilagi because he is a big boy surprisingly quick. I am usually a D'Arcy fan but I taught he was useless. And I only heard Tommy Bowes name once that match I am not to worried though annoyed but its just not possible that with the penetration the Irish backs have that they would be so lateral.

Anonymous August 31, 2011 10:31 pm

why wouldnt Kidney favour the munster old guard?theyre the most successsful bunch of players he has to choose from...I think you might have some connacht tinted galsses on with calls for Fionn Carr and Jamie Hagan (who have both deserted)...two very average players onlky making a name for themselves because the rest of the Connacht team are sp shocking that they actually make them look phenomenal..

i love bacon August 31, 2011 11:12 pm

Earls is "wiry" - he's a slippery little guy and can wriggle through lines when he's not busy knocking the ball on or throwing aimless passes into touch.

Maybe that's why Kidney thinks he'd be a good center - because he resembles BOD in that way and BOD is the standard for an Irish 13.

It may be unfair to criticize Earls too much, but I was a fan of the guy when he was working his magic a couple years back, but now it seems like every game he starts for Ireland, he commits more and more unnecessary errors...some of which lead to tries. It's just a bit much.

Maybe keep him on as a bench player - he seems to play a bit better when he's got "something to prove" when he comes on.

But the elephant in the room that probably all Irish fans finally see that Kidney somehow overlooks is the unrelenting mismanagement of the 12-13 spot in the Irish back line. Unless he's wanting to only score forward-fought tries from the 5m line (which, actually, Ireland have a pretty piss-poor record of actually doing), no running tries can be scored if you simply can't get the ball out of the middle of the field and to players out wide.

I'm not sure...I'm American, though, so even though I almost always root for Ireland, I'll be pretty happy if the Eagles can beat them. Plus, then, maybe if you guys end up ousting Kidney, send him our way. He can take over the Eagles after EOS is done.

i love bacon August 31, 2011 11:13 pm

who have both deserted

Probably because they're good enough and realize if they want to be selected for Ireland, they've got to move South or East.

Anonymous September 01, 2011 12:53 am

keith earls is an embarrassment to the national team. not even up to heineken cup standard let alone international standard rugby. hes a pro12 player but doesnt even set that alight

Anonymous September 01, 2011 12:56 am

keith earls was never "working his magic" he has been working the bench and working the press more often than not

Anonymous September 01, 2011 1:34 am

^ lol, u mad bro?

uselessKidneyout September 01, 2011 2:27 am

"why wouldnt Kidney favour the munster old guard?theyre the most successsful bunch of players he has to choose from.."

where has this lunatic being for the last three years-(tooked away on some farm no doubt) just to inform him that the leinster players are now kidneys most successful bunch and more importantly most recently successful. Kidney is a teacher who likes to coach a bit of rugby on the side, I am sure he learned a lot while teaching in pres cork but I hardly call it an apprenticeship for the national Job.If it was possible and I was Paul Mc Naughton I'd get rid of Declan, Buckley and Earls before the world cup- tell them its a recession and cuts had to be made. I'd bring in Hagan Carr and Conor O'Shea. The 2 leinster lads are having a brilliant pre-season and O'Shea actually played the game! Ireland need to forget about world cup and use it as pre-season and buildig block to the post Kidney years. I think this attempt at the world cup is even more patethic that Eddie O'Sullivans attempt.

Anonymous September 01, 2011 3:36 am

Luxi said...

August 31, 2011 11:34 PM

That`s just rubbish. The video is provided, the kick happens at 1:24. We can all see Armitage is not in front of Tindall, so why bother suggesting he is?

Anonymous September 01, 2011 3:41 am

Good game by Tindall, IMO still overrated.

Ireland need a game-changing player at 9, 12 or 15, someone who can light up a match with a class play out of no-where. Its great they have such a player in the forwards, S. O'Brien. Obviously BOD is still around and so he should be, he is a fantastic player and always gives his everything but someone else is needed in the more prominent playmaking positions or even just a new 15, I have no idea where we will get these kids from but I sure hope its soon!

ilexvunibola September 01, 2011 6:12 am

Johnny,Tindall , Manu love that pairing ,,,,even though I dont support England ,,,just love to watch this talents show case! Carter/Nonu i think they'll raise to another level during the games, Not to mention the green n gold ,,Wales I think will be a power house , Not sure about the Boks ,,,watch out for the 3 island teams ,,,cant wait! all the best to all the teams!

Anonymous September 01, 2011 7:24 am

I think teams and fans of the game shouldn't underestimate Ireland, don't write them off, not just yet. I really believe that Kidney is playing a game of cards here and is holding his hand firmly againist his chest. If Ireland needed to win this game they would have done very easily. They kicked 15 guaranteed points into to the corner, to work on set pieces up against hard hitting competing opposition. He's getting the boys who have been out back into match fittness, trying out different combos.. No need to worry.. As said above alot of the Irish team are over 30 they've been in the game for a long time they dont need a win to boost morale, they know how good they are. These games were all about trying things working on things and just getting the blood pumping......

chirst I hope so.

Colombes September 01, 2011 9:01 am

i didn't see the match so i can't really judge it but on the form it looklikes very much to the future english matchs durin the RWC.

- a solid kicker to point thze points: Wilko
- Strong and direct midfield runs: tindall and tuilagi
- Defence, defence, defence

i think that after trying to play an euphoric rugby durin the 6N, Jonno wants to come back to an usual english match-winning rugby.
Wilko return and the last warm-up matchs are good indicators
it will be ugly, physical but so efficient!

Anonymous September 01, 2011 9:37 am

What about the game of Wilkinson? Obviously he was unbelievable as always when aiming for the posts (apart from the missed long drop goal), but what about the rest of the game?

He didnt seem to play great I thought.. His clearig kicks were often aimless and his play in general was not nearly as good as it used to be. Didnt he get much game time recently, or is there another explanation for his form?

Is he really better than Flood in open play?

Darren September 01, 2011 11:30 am

UselessKidneyout said;

1) Yes Kidney taught at Pres, but he is also the only Irish rugby coach to have led a team to a world cup win, before taking a coaching role with Munster, then Leinster, then Ireland. Can you see the obvious progression??

2) Hagan and Carr are good provincial players. They have never been truely tested. Buckley sucks, but every game he played in NZ he was unreal. Earls deserves his spot, you're glasses are blue tinted. O'Shea will get his turn.

3) Kidney has already extended his contract to 2 years beyond the world cup.

4) The pathetic attempt at a world cup, what is Gods name are you on about, typical jackeen football mentality, the world cup hasn't started, you're already asking for heads to role. Lie down you gimp!

Tim September 01, 2011 12:42 pm

Nice touch from Tindall, never been a big fan of him, especially at 13, though he looks better suited to the job at 12.

10-13 starting to look a bit better for the English.

And Wilko over Flood any day mate.

Dave @ Rugby World B September 01, 2011 12:44 pm

It wasn't the best of games but I'd say the major positives England can take from the game is a centre partnership that is starting to look pretty good.

Anonymous September 01, 2011 1:00 pm

Haven't seen the whole game but the highlights are pretty interesting: shows how us NH (I'm French) have been forgetting how important a center can be! Tuilagi seems really good, and Tindall has definitely got the pace and experience needed. and the "vista" as well!

as for Tuilagi playing for England...well, it's always the same. everyone does that (first of, NZ!) and our (French) football team would be totally different if "real French" people only were allowed...but you cannot criticize England just for one player who probably loves this country just as much as anyone else there! I think that's the point, rather than just a question of blood or race. (in your face you "French" football twats who despise France and anything that stands for us)
I think England and France, though maybe a bit "light" compared to NZ and Oz, could be good contenders for the title! hope to see Wilko at his best!
always happy to see that prick Keith Earls make a fool of himself on the pitch. he was just as ridiculous when opposed to our centers (who, let us face it, are not exactly Sonny Bill Williams nor Ma'a Nonu!)

Come on England!
oh, and please DC stop playing sexton, you should use O'Gara until the guy's 40! ok, he's not running the ball that much but his feet are pure genius! and even if he does look like a dancing fairy on the pitch every other game, he always gets back on his feet! and looks like a perfect gentleman, like Wilko! nothing like those gits Earls and Ashton!
sorry for the long message, allez les Bleus, je brle un cierge pour que Mermoz et Trinh Duc ne se cassent pas!
GO ON NORTH!!! (and, while I'm at it, GO ON SCOTS and ITALIANS, AND IRISH AND WALES (and play hook!) that's it I'm done

Huh!! the 3rd September 01, 2011 1:57 pm

Love the Earls bashing comparing him to holier thah thou BOD. Didn't Bod completely miss Rougerie for France's first try which turned that game around..... where were the people saying he should be dropped then.

BOD is a great defender, but has been caught out for tries too many times to mention and was as poor in D at the same age as Earls with the benefit of having always played at 13. Earls's stats in this game were better than any other Ire player, metres run, defenders beaten, tackles, except the sole missed tackle was his.

He's a winger and try scorer which Ire still lack, Bowe should be centre (Bowe played his best rugby on the Lions tour when he turned provider to Monye and so on and only seems to get ball for Ire from grubbers or kick chases!!!!) with BOD and Trimble deserves his chance on the wing. Kearney should only be picked in 1/4 (at this stage even thats unlikely) because SA are the only team who will give him garryowens.

And people saying Kidney is holding his cards, give me a break, same excuses 4 years ago... why aren't they trying backline moves, where are the lineout options and physicality, oh they don't want to try too many things (trying SOME-THING, ONE-THING would've been nice).

The only backline move Ire know is the wraparound and Aus and Pocock ate Sexton up in Brisbane last year everytime he tried it.

Anonymous September 01, 2011 2:21 pm

Jesus fucking christ, NZ DON"T POACH SAMOANS. THERE ARE MORE SAMOANS IN AUCKLAND NZ THEN ANY OTHER CITY IN THE WORLD. GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEADS.

There are more NZers in the Samoan squad (by about 500%) than there are Samoans in the NZ squad.

Anonymous September 01, 2011 3:39 pm

hahaha, one handed hand off... 'hold on let me just balance the ball on my head and use both my hands'...i hate sky and there useless has-been semi-blind commentators.

moddeur September 01, 2011 4:09 pm

I'll tell you one thing: I would feel satisfied if the last 4 teams in the tournament only contained one from the Southern Hemisphere (Samoa).
For the sake of rugby (because if the SH keeps on triumphing over the NH, then nothing will ever change ...).
So how about a nice Ireland-France and England-Samoa in the semis, for a change?

Anonymous September 02, 2011 3:46 am

Yeah or how about the best teams get to the final four.
You know, Aus, SA and NZ.

The best final possible, would be Aus vs NZ. They play the best rugby, and it's a hell of a lot more entertaining than what the Europeans play.

uselessKidneyout September 02, 2011 3:59 am

Darren,

Declan did coach a world championship team made up of Irelands golden era and a freak year of under19's my grandmother would have coached that team to a world cup.......he did coach leinster for a very short unsuccessful time and let me quote Peter Mc Kenna an ex-leinster player " kidney was out of his depth at leinster because he wasn't handed a fully functioning team."
and reagrding my "Jackine mentaity" actually I am munster educated and coached- I was coached by Declan at one stage and my prediction for Ireland to flop is based on me KNOWING KIdney does not the coaching capabilities to get this team going again- He does not have a clue when it comes to talent or player management. In his head i think he thinks he is still coaching some two bit Pres sct team and it will work out in the end-doubtful. Come back to me after the world and tell me I a wrong, I will be delighted but till then shut up with stereotypical munster attitude its getting old a bit like munsters glory days!

stefan September 02, 2011 4:44 am

any chance we can get rid of Stuart Barnes? that guy does my nut in every time i hear rugby on sky...

Anonymous September 02, 2011 7:40 am

Anon
"Yeah or how about the best teams get to the final four.
You know, Aus, SA and NZ."

September 02, 2011 5:46 AM

hahahahahahaha good counting moron!

JAMIE September 04, 2011 2:13 pm

@Darren

1) What world cup win? He coached well at Munster because they played the only style of rugby he understood. He was terrible at Leinster and didn't get on well with players. His questionable selections and inability to get on with Leinster players as he does with Munster ones has been continued in his role as Ireland coach. He had two good years as Ireland coach, but the rules have changed and Kidney is unable to coach the game at the highest level with the new rules.

2) Exactly. They've never been truly tested so give them one of the trial games instead of giving it to players who can't make it (P. Wallace, Buckley, etc.) Earls deserves a spot, but not at 12 or 13. I'd put him on the wing with Bowe (Leinster fan here) with BOD and Trimble in the centre and Kearney at 15. I don't give a shit what provence the players come from as long as they deserve their place.

3) That is idiotic. Very poor move by the IRFU. I would have liked to see a SH coach, or at least Conor O'Shea.

@Huh the 3rd!

That was D'Arcy who missed the tackle and Rougerie ran a very good line and is huge. Tuilagi didn't do that much. Earls just let the gap open up for him. As for BOD, you're really really exaggerating his defensive slip ups. I'm a huge fan of his but at the same time, I realise he is getting on in years. His defense is really as good as ever, it's his pace which seems to be the main thing affected and perhaps the odd pass not going to hand when it should (but he still gets the most difficult ones) but his defense is still at the highest level (both one vs. one tackling and organising the backline defensively).

Huh September 04, 2011 3:38 pm

JAMIE

Huh!! the 3rd September 04, 2011 3:40 pm

Huh!! the 3rd

It posted on its own, hmmmmm

JAMIE September 04, 2011 4:30 pm

"I understand where you're coming form, but It was O'Driscoll leading the d that opened up the gap and Darcy is out of his depth anyway.

The reason I'm calling for Bowe at 12 instead of Trimble, is because Bowe can distribute, go over the gain line and hit from great angles, so can Trimble, but not as powerful and he's a much weaker passer too."

BOD can't do everything. It was D'Arcy's tackle to make.

I wouldn't mind with Bowe at 12 either, he would probably be better given his size / weight I guess and if he has good distribution skills, all the better. Even with BOD in the centre, Ireland have still lacked penetration in the backs because Wallace and D'Arcy aren't the biggest linebreakers in the world and as BOD as aged, he's become more of a distributor / playmaker than the linebreaker he used to be. 9. Reddan / Boss 10. Sexton 11. Earls 12. Bowe 13. BOD 14. Trimble 15. Kearney I don't know why Kidney didn't try something more like that. Hopefully he will come RWC time... Also, Downey looked very good today vs. Gloucester. I still would've liked to see him for Ireland.

Anonymous September 04, 2011 6:32 pm

So my review...

Tuilangi made that try, and not many centres in the world could have defended it...why? his initial line runs in at the 12 channel, if earls didnt stay tight he'd have hit through on that channel, he see's this injects pace and changes line brilliant, ashtons support awesome

Tindal finally played where he should be and look at the result!

Cueto didnt just stop he had a back spasm, if you look he turns around and asks for help - but he's not done enough for england this year imo.

I wish wallace a speedy recovery, awesome player, the world cup will be poorer without him.

Most importantly of all stuart barnes is a total dick, and should not be allowed in the bloody stadim let alone given a microphone. He deserves to rodgered with a rusty spoon.

Anonymous September 04, 2011 6:45 pm

It's Tuilagi bud. And not many centres would have been able to stop him in his tracks but they'd at least be able to get in his way, but most wouldn't have left a gap for him to go through. Earls just isn't a centre.

Barnes has some sort of learning disability though

Anonymous September 04, 2011 7:59 pm

yeah I know my spelling is pretty bad!

I think he ran a great line and that caused the defender to stretch on the tackle, a runner like him can bosh through any tackle that isn't full on. I wish I had just a fraction of that guys talent!!!

Jimbo1 September 05, 2011 5:35 pm

Why not BOD at 12 now lacking pace but still brilliant and Bowe at 13 with his ability to break the line and distribute? It has worked for Tindall who looked slow and off the pace at 13 but looked much sharper at 12 (once admittedly)

I hate ppl who write September 06, 2011 6:29 pm

"I think you might have some connacht tinted galsses on with calls for Fionn Carr and Jamie Hagan (who have both deserted)"

I think you have no idea what you're on about, they're both from Leinster and went to Connacht to get game time rather than sit on a bench. Deserting may apply to marines but proffessional rugby players may actually change teams from time to time.

As for shining as players, it's herder to do in Rugby if you're on a poor team, especially for a winger, so not really an intelligent point there either...bell-end.